I have a new obsession. Surprised? Doubt it. Recently my friend Steffanie turned me on to pinterest.com. I can't stop checking it! And I've already started creating lists of everything I want to do that has been inspired by this site. I mean look at this! Potentially the next cupcake recipe. Anyway. Back to the craftiness at hand (because I could seriously get carried away with EVERYTHING that I want to do stemming from this site).
Steffanie was planning on making a Christmas wreath...what?...me too! Except I wanted to make a 'Fall' wreath or make a wreath that could be holiday neutral. I'm not a huge fan of storing holiday related crap around the house so if I could make something that lasted throughout the seasons then all the better. I set my sights on this. Looked easy enough. I mean there really isn't a lot to it - yarn, felt, wire. After a trip to Michaels I had what I needed.
One weekend I sat down to make said wreath. Who knew that wrapping yarn around a straw wreath was such a pain in the butt!! Seriously. It's ridiculous. I started with a small 4 inch (or 6...don't really know) wreath which could have been the crux of the problem. Getting an entire bundle of yarn through that over...and over....and over again is kind of a pain. I ended up cutting strands of yarn and dealing with it in chunks. But, turns out that when you have a pile of loose yarn it ends up in knots. Yeah, poor planning. Needless to say I got it done (the yarn part that is) and then it sat for another week before I busted out Gabe's glue gun to tackle the leaf part. Since the wreath was small I decided a huge tree up the middle was going to look a bit cluttered so I opted for a few side leafs. The result is at the top of this post.
I also made a normal (12 inch) sized wreath. This too was going to have the wire and leaf theme but after making the small one I got bored with the leaves so I dug up my old origami cranes that I made ages ago as Christmas ornaments (yeah, I did keep those even though I said I hate keeping holiday related stuff around...hypocrite). I wasn't entirely sure how to decorate the wreath until I set it on my desk with the cranes dumped inside (decoration idea light bulb...ding..ding...ding!). I decided to string a few cranes together and then zigzag across the wreath in the center.
With the design idea in mind I dug out my little travel sewing kit and stabbed all of the cranes. Only...I stabbed them at the bottom and so when I hung them up, strung across the center of the wreath, they all hung upside down. Gabe's question - are those bats? Oops!
String removed, cranes restrung, and voila - two nice little rows of cranes. Pinned to the wreath, extra yarn around the pins to hide them and second wreath done! Craftiness over.
Well...not 'over' just done for the day. Next up... one of the wreaths on pinterest had awesome t-shirt flowers (similar to this). I promptly looked up how to make a t-shirt flower, destroyed one of my rattier t-shirts, whipped out the glue gun and made a t-shirt pin. Here's a crappy cell phone picture of it. Glue guns are AWESOME!
And...last but probably not least I decided to use the rest of the fall (fake) leaves and make my Mom a few napkin rings for Thanksgiving. I took the wire, wrapped it around the top of a wine bottle, glued scraps of t-shirt to part of it (making a larger base to glue the leaves to), and then glued the leaves to the t-shirt material. Done in 5 minutes. I love craft projects that are this easy!
I'm not sure what's up next in Meghan's craft world but I do know there are cupcakes a brewing. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I'm thinking yams...pecans...blue cheese...